Ever since I posted the image of the Old Bridge a few months back, I promised to show more of my city and especially the Old Town. I'm glad to be able to hold that promise, and bring you more flavor of that part of the city in this post.

click on the images for a bigger view

It was early in the morning when my friend and I took a stroll down the stone path of the Old Town. Many tourists were already descending into the main parts of this very popular spot.


This is the north entrance to the Old Town. You can see the cobble stones marking where the old part of the city starts.


My friend's dog Brownie was with us, and had a fun time exploring the city.


Entrance to the Museum.


The front view of the Museum in a wider shot.


A number of elements of the early fortifications are visible. The Hercegusa Tower dates from the medieval period, whereas the Ottoman defenses are represented by the Halebinovka and Tara Towers, the watchtowers over the ends of the Old Bridge, and a stretch of the ramparts.


While some were walking around and shopping for some souvenirs, other were having breakfast and coffee in one of the many restaurants here.



The name of Mostar is first mentioned in a document of 1474, taking its name from the bridge-keepers (mostari), this refers to the existence of a wooden bridge from the market town on the left bank of the river which was used by soldiers, traders, and other travelers.



There are lots of copper shops there, where you can buy many unique ornaments and gifts.


Or even original artwork and paintings sold by artists in their ateliers.


Kriva Ćuprija (Crooked bridge) is a small bridge on the river Radobolja which floats into the main river Neretva. It was build in the same manner and style as the Old Bridge, just in smaller proportions.


I hope you liked the images and also taking a small stroll with me through one of the most popular parts of my city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top