About a month ago, my Canon 50mm 1.4 lens suddenly stopped working on me. No auto focus or manual focus, nothing. I was horrified - this is my favourite lens and I use it for nearly all of my work.

So naturally, I went to my insurance company to file a claim. I posted the lens off to them, they rang me back and due to my excess, quoted me £200 for the repair. I got it sent back to me, pretty sure that Canon do it cheaper. And they do. I sent my lens off to them, and got a quote of £105!

So whose fault is this? Do I send an angry letter to the insurance company? Or is it out of their hands as they outsource their repairs? Either way, somebody is making money by taking advantage of peoples' desperation and it's not fair.

Moral of the story: if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, I beg of you to get more than one quote!

But on a lighter note, here is a celebratory self portrait taken with my newly-repaired 50mm..


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top