I have featured Pocitelj before on this blog: in the recent 10 Places to Visit in Bosnia and Herzegovina post, as well as the 5 Best Places to visit in Herzegovina post. Then there was the extensive three part travel series to Pocitelj, from which you are about to see some outtakes and other previously unreleased images.
The images in this post are focused on the old walls of Pocitelj, or at least what is left of them from over the years. Pocitelj presents one of few urban ensembles in Bosnia and Herzegovina preserved in their integrity to the present time developed through the several phases of the history, beginning with the medieval period.
click on the images for a bigger view
Wonders of the Past
When you stand here, inside the walls, surrounded by so much history, you start to wonder about the place, of what was here before, and who stood in these spots. There is quite a lot of the old structure left here, and the main tower is very much accessible. From many places, you can gaze out of the windows and look into the surrounding nature and river Neretva, which is flowing beside the town.
Inside the Tower
The main tower in Pocitelj is accessible by narrow steps that lead you right away from in entrance, in circular motion, to the upper deck of the tower. You have to be very careful here, since the steps are steep and broken off in places. There is nothing to hold on to here, and almost no light, but the journey up the tower is not long, and only lasts a minute or two. And the rewards for the adventurous traveler are more then great.
Roaming the Structures
Visiting Pocitelj is free of charge, and it's one of the most visited locations here in Herzegovina. You can leave your car in the parking lot at the foot of the hill, and make the climb up. Make sure to bring water with you. You will find good food in one of the restaurants below the town. Up here, there are many paths, and nothing is marked, which is actually good, since it doesn't spoil the fun of exploring.
5 Reasons you should visit Pocitelj
1. It makes a great afternoon trip from Mostar.If you are exploring the area, around Mostar, and you have your base set up in Mostar, then this is an ideal two-three hour visit. Pocitelj is only 25 minute car or bus ride away from Mostar.
2. Entrance is free.While there are many shops and resturants here, there is no entrance fee into the structures.
3. Exploring the ruins.The climb up the hill leads you through the old town. You will see many old structures, new houses, places of worship, until you reach the top where the tower is. There is lots to see and explore!
4. Other points of interest.Only 5 minutes south is the town of Caplijina. You can visit Blagaj (15 minute car ride north) on that same day as well.
5. Photo opportunity galore.As you will, hopefully, gleam from these images here, Pocitelj is a very iconic spot for photos, and no matter where you turn your camera, you're going to get a good photo.
The Mix of Old and New
There are also some residential houses in Pocitelj, and you will see new doors that look like old ones. Since the city is in UNESCO's World Heritage List, the new structures have to be in code with the old ones. This makes for a harmonious look of the whole place, and really transfer to the overall enjoyment of visiting Pocitelj.
I hope you have enjoyed this little outing into one of the southern historic spots of Bosnia and Herzegovina.